^ Back to top
^ Back to top
Upstart is a business incubator funded by New Zealand Trade and Enterprise, Otago University, Otago Polytechnic, Dunedin City Council, Deloitte and other private funding. Upstart is a not-for-profit organisation that works with local startups to turn a product or idea into a commercial reality. Through business coaching and a wide range of business services, Upstart offers clients expertise and support to grow their business.
We select clients for incubation based on a variety of factors (idea, growth potential, talent, commitment). If your idea isn’t ready for incubation we can provide feedback and assistance. Just give us a call, send us an email, or drop in to visit us.
People working with Upstart make…
Trust Bee specialize in supporting online businesses who pride themselves on their quality of the whole online shopping experience. Trust Bee aims to make online shopping more enjoyable and safer for consumers, providing consumers with a recognized brand which they know and trust. We aim to transform the world of online shopping and business through promoting ethical business standards.
Trovolo.com serves as a visual trip planning tool that allows both domestic and international travelers to plan their leisure trips around the world. Using three easy steps, individuals can save and book their trips as well as share them through social media. The planned launch date for their exciting new website is the 1st of January 2013.
Twisted Citrus designs and develops original bio-sensor enabled clothing for sports performance and health care. These comfortable products collect your physiological data and publish it to your mobile phone.Visit the website »
NoteBoat is an online marketplace where university students can buy and sell notes and study guides. Students who sell their notes through NoteBoat earn a commission on each sale. Students who are looking to buy notes can purchase instantly and securely through Paypal.
Visit Facebook page »Visit the website »
A one stop shop online directory for parents offering quick, easy access to relevant, good quality information about family friendly activities, events, kids' out of school activities and much more.
The Rotacrane is designed for use primarily in the glazing, construction and autoglass industries to lift, grip, rotate and shift heavy or awkward items up to 200kg. The patented unit provides a fully rotational 360 degree head and a lifting mechanism for precision and accuracy.
Jumblesoft Games produces ethical and learning based mobile games for the iPhone, iPad and Android markets. With a flagship game about healthy drinking in production.
GrowTu has developed a new style of Greenhouse that is suitable for growing plants in all year round regardless of climate. They are highly functional while also being very affordable for the average home gardener.
We remove barriers to business success.
^ Back to top
Clients at Upstart can receive:
- Seed Funding
- We can offer seed money to help you get started.
- Milestone based, up to $15,000
- Grant funding access
- Guidance through central and local government funding.
- Exclusive Incubation Funding
- Upstart gives you access to exclusive MSI funding only available to incubated businesses.
- Company set up
- We cover the costs (including legal fees) of company registration, shareholding agreements and constitutions.
- Angel Network
- Direct access to Otago Angels – our team will work to pair you with investors that match your company.
- As required!
Business ServicesApproximate Value
- In-house Expertise
- Upstart provides in-house free, constant access to experts in the following fields:
- Business administration
- Project Management
- Professional Business Development Services
- We provide unique access to external business providers tailored to start-ups. Through Upstart you can access free initial sessions, and reduced costs on an ongoing basis.
- We have partnerships with Dunedin City Council, University of Otago and Otago Polytechnic. Through these partnerships we can offer internships which benefit you as a client (ie you gain an expert app programmer) and support local growth and development.
- Academic Specialists
- Through our partnership with University of Otago and Otago Polytechnic, our clients have access to relevant specialists in a wide range of departments.
- One-on-one brainstorming session
- Immersion Marketing Management thrive on challenges, learning and innovation, but most of all love collaborating with like minded clients and partners. Our offer to Upstart clients involves a one hour brainstorming session with two consultants on a topic of your choice – Brand Creation or Development, What marketing mediums are best for your business, Market Positioning, Marketing Plan Reviews – including online Marketing Options.
Computer ServicesApproximate Value
- BizSpark Plus is a range of benefits start-ups can access only through a partner. Upstart is an accredited Bizspark network partner, enabling full access for our clients.
- $60,000 over two years.
- Office space and equipment
- We provide our clients with free space (desk or office depending on team size), phone, internet, stationery, use of board room and kitchen.
- $8000 per annum
Skill DevelopmentApproximate Value
- Events/ Workshops
- We run frequent workshops for our clients, with industry experts in a variety of fields.
- $2500 per annum
We add capital to your knowledge bank.
^ Back to top
We want to talk to investors interested in technologies or sectors with HIGH GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES.
Please contact Steve Silvey, CEO for more information.
We can also connect you with our regional Angel network.
Don’t go round and round. Come talk to us.
^ Back to top
Steve is experienced in leadership roles where growth and innovation matter. Steve specialises in strategy, innovation, brand management, change management and business to business sales.
Rueben founded The Coffee Guy and Just Loans. He has expertise in franchising, finance and research. Rueben is available Monday - Wednesday for client meetings, give him a call.
Conrad is experienced in business development, finance and operations. He has University of Otago qualifications in Finance, Economics and Business, including an MBA.
Helping you get to the top.
The core business of TracPlus
is the seamless, reliable and secure delivery of real time global tracking, sensor monitoring and data analysis services. They are providers to private, business, military, and government organisations worldwide, using guaranteed mission-critical hosting infrastructure.
is for when alternatives matter. It is award-winning advanced decision support software for use in prioritization, allocation and general decision-making applications.
has developed an internet platform career planning resource that has an aptitude test at its core unlike other resources that are solely based on interest/preferences or psychometrics. It is designed to ensure that users get a best possible match when selecting a specific career.
was founded by Michael Reid, a Doctor of Psychology who was frustrated with the lack of improved outcomes for people with a range of disabilities, due to poor training for support staff using traditional seminar type models. He set about developing a model for addressing the identified barriers to quality workforce development within the health, human service and education sectors.
Lifetime Health Diary
provides a web based platform for individuals and their health care providers to connect and share health related information specific to the individual. The platform is patient or individual centric providing a full picture of an individual’s health history.
offers GPS guidance and proof of placement mapping, all in one purpose-built unit, designed for agricultural vehicles operating on rolling and hill country.
Upstart. You know where to find us.